Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
This position is full-time (up to 40 hours/week) Monday – Friday. Employees are required to have flexibility to work an 8-hour shift during our normal business hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm local time zone. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Provides operational guidance and support assigned staff under the directions of the Patient Access Manager, disseminates policy/procedure updates, and supports coverage of other departmental divisions as required.
- Serves as a technical advisor and resource to staff and the Manager
- Responsible for development of associate work schedules and assignments to ensure cost effective staffing providing optimal workflow needs that meets performance requirements
- Performs job specific accountabilities of relief staff or other job functions as assigned by the Manager, or as required to meet expectations.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of Patient Access services and skills to successfully fill in any position and/ or work multiple sites within a Facility or within multiple Facilities, fully meeting performance expectations and standards. Works varying hours and/ or on call schedule, as required
- In coordination with the Manager may participate in the redesign of Patient Access processes and systems to improve service, data integrity, and staff productivity/ quality to achieve departmental goals and process outcomes
- Develops effective decision-making, communications and interpersonal relations to ensure a positive image of Optum360 and the client, and to ensure customer satisfaction, supporting and portraying strong customer service philosophies in all encounters:
- Provides timely and professional follow up to customer complaints and issues
- Ensures problem resolution and corrective action for long-term solution, coordinating such effort across intra and inter-departmental channels
- Provides function-specific training, including staff orientation/onboarding and continuing education, in coordination with the Optum 360 Training and Quality Assurance Program, Cross-trains and supports the functions of all centralized patient access functions
- Maintains work site in full operational order:
- Orders supplies and other materials in compliance with budgetary constraints
- Maintains a neat, orderly work environment that denotes professionalism and efficiency
- Develops job aides to assist the staff in performing work assignments
- Responsible for the following activities:
- Selection or employees based on potential contributions, departmental culture/needs and personnel policies.
- Recommends allocations of resources based on scope of goals and priorities
- Review employees work regularly, discusses problem areas and maintains periodic documentation as needed. Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions and follow-ups, as warranted. Mentors and coaches associates to ensure positive outcomes
- Completes the work schedule, ensuring adequate and appropriate coverage and performance. Serves as on-call scheduling contact and assists with coordination of staff to meet the need
- Manages to the department budget, minimizing Overtime, when possible
- Provides and documents employee disciplinary/corrective actions, up to and including verbal warning, referring all action and activities to the Manager for follow-up
- Provides input documentation to employees’ performance during orientation and annual reviews
- Maintains fiscal accountability for assigned area of responsibility by identifying new operational, capital and program needs, monitoring staffing allocation in alignment with customer service goals, and by meeting budget parameters.
- Analyzes and displays data in meaningful formats; develops and communicates policies/ procedures and other business documentation; conducts special studies and prepares management reports, including key performances Indications as they related to the division (waiting/service times, staff productivity, accuracy, patient satisfaction, customer feedback, incident reporting, etc.)
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, Optum 360’s Organization Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior
- Other duties as need and assigned by the Manager
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 5+years of experience as a supervisor in patient access
- 4+ years of experience with working in a hospital patient registration department, physician office setting, healthcare insurance company, revenue cycle vendor, and / OR other revenue cycle role
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Word (create, edit, and format)
- Microsoft Excel (create, edit, and format)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (create, edit, and format)
- Experience with the major Patient Access technologies currently in use, and / OR other like systems
- Current knowledge of Patient Access processes and systems, regulatory, and third – party payer issues and requirements
- Ability to work any shift between the hours of 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Business / Management, Healthcare administration, OR Healthcare discipline
- 2+ years of experience in customer service, preferably in a healthcare environment
- 1+ years of supervisory experience
- Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) from the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
- Basic Knowledge of ICD – 9 (10) and CPT terminology
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Operational knowledge of Federal and State regulations pertaining to patient admissions, as well, as standards from regulatory agencies and accrediting organizations (DHS, HCFA, OSHA, TJC)
- Keen sense of observation
- Knowledge of process improvement techniques are essential to success, as is the ability to be a self-starter and work independently to move projects successfully forward
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies required all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.SM
California Residents Only: The salary range for California residents is $56,300 – $110,400.Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.