Performs venipuncture or skin puncture for the purpose of withdrawing blood for testing.
These Principal Accountabilities, Requirements and Qualifications are not exhaustive, but are merely the most descriptive of the current job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, staff changes, workload, or technical development).
- Obtains blood specimens by venipuncture or skin puncture following established patient identification and specimen labeling procedures to ensure positive identification and specimen integrity.
- Registers patients and enters orders into hospital or laboratory information system (LIS).
- Receives specimens collected into the laboratory information system following established procedures.
- Maintains clean, well-stocked blood collection trays and/or outpatient drawing rooms.
- Answers telephones, taking orders and providing other information as requested.
- Prints and follows-up on various LIS reports as directed.
- Processes test orders accurately as to priority, test requested, specimen requirements, date and time of service, and additional information as provided.
- Assists with orientation of new employees.
- Reports complaints in writing from patients, physicians, or other hospital staff to section manager.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to geriatric, adult, adolescent, pediatric and neonatal patients, having the ability to assess data reflective of such patients’ status, identifying each patient’s requirements relative to his/her age specific needs, and applying the principles of growth and development of such patients.
- By maintaining high standards of excellence, helps the Medical Center fulfill its mission by providing compassionate care and respecting the dignity of others. Applies the principles of “continuous quality improvement” which includes working cooperatively with colleagues and projecting a service orientation toward all.
- Equivalent experience will be accepted in lieu of the required degree or diploma.
- HS Diploma or general education degree (GED)
- OR Other: Three to six months related experience and/or training
- OR Other: Equivalent combination of education and experience
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
- CPTI-Certified Phlebotomy Technician I
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AS TYPICALLY ACQUIRED IN:
- Six months comparable hospital experience.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Understands the importance of positive patient specimen identification.
Tact and diplomacy required for interaction with people under stressful conditions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as service goal requirements , safety rules, computer logs, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers and employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply , and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers , common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PAY RANGE: $ 29.65 – $ 37.43 / hour
The salary range for this role may vary above or below the posted range as determined by location. This range has not been adjusted for any specific geographic differential applicable by area where the position may be filled. Compensation takes into account several factors including but not limited to a candidate’s experience, education, skills, licensure and certifications, department equity, training and organizational needs. Base pay is just one piece of the total rewards program offered by Sutter Health. Eligible roles also qualify for a comprehensive benefits package.
Days of the Week:
Friday, Monday, Thursday, Tuesday, Variable, Wednesday
Number of Openings:
Sutter Health is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.